Making food for the family is tough. We get it! This is why we aim to simplify cooking at home, without sacrificing flavor and nutritional value. This braised Black Beluga lentils and veggies recipe is super tasty and easy to clean up! Can we get an Amen?! (Amen!).
When we operated Little Harvest as a baby and toddler meal delivery service, we learned that a lot of people liked to make their baby’s food at home and once they were older, fed them what they made for the entire family. This dish is exactly that. If you have a baby that is enjoying stage 2 foods, or blends of different ingredients, this is a nutrient-dense option. All you need to do is make your dinner then throw theirs in a blender or food processor!
This recipe calls for black beluga lentils, which are a great source of fiber, iron and have more protein than meat per ounce! They are truly a super food! We also snuck kale into this recipe. Kale is a great source Omegas 3 and 6 and iron, which are all wonderful for baby, and your, brain health. It’s also rich in Vitamins K, A and C. Vitamin K is great for your blood, while Vitamin A is a wonderful antioxidant which supports the immune system and vision, along with Vitamin C.
When we were preparing this dish in our home-based test kitchen, our son walked in from preschool and said, “Wow that smells delicious! I cannot wait to eat some!”. And he did. He gobbled it up with some added oyster crackers. Our 8 month old also inhaled it. Needless to say, this dish was a winner. Feel free to season it as you wish. We recommend using a mild curry powder as the recipe suggests. Bon Appetite!
Braised Black Beluga Lentils and Veggies
- Veggie Peeler
- Mesh Strainer (optional)
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- Garlic Press or Mallet
- Medium Stock Pot
- Food Processor
- 3 cups Black beluga lentils can sub in brown lentils
- 1 bunch Organic curly kale approx. 3 cups of leaves
- 4 large Carrots about 3.5 cups diced
- 1 cup Yellow Onion 2 small onions
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T Madras Curry Powder we use a salt-free version
- 2 cloves Peeled Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Salt optional
- 5 cups Vegetable stock
- Carefully sort/examine lentils – look for rocks or other debris
- Rinse lentils and strain in mesh strainer (add pic)
- Remove skin and chop onion in large chunks
- Finely dice onion in food processor along with garlic cloves
- Wash carrots and kale
- Cut leaves off of kale stems and put in food processor until finely chopped
- Peel carrots, chop in chunks and put in food processor until finely diced
- Add Olive oil to pot and bring to medium heat
- Add carrots, onion and garlic and let Sautee for about 7-8 minutes until veggies are softened – stirring frequently
- Stir in lentils
- Add veggie stock and kale and stir
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 35 40 minutes until lentils are soft, but still hold their shape
- Serve warm for everyone 10 mos. +
- For families with babies eating stage 2 foods (typically 7-9 mos.), set aside desired amount and let cool.
- Once cool add to food processor or blender and puree to desired consistency.
- Reheat and serve to baby after feeding breastmilk or formula.