Recently, we’ve been experimenting with different gluten-free pancake recipe creations and this gluten-free blueberry pancake recipe, by far, is a winner! Inspired by Italian olive oil cake, we decided to substitute olive oil in place of other vegetable oils in the gluten-free pancake batter. It turned out fantastic – the kids (4 and 1) agreed! Mommy and Daddy loved it too!
We make some version of fruit or berry infused pancakes at our house every weekend. It’s fun for the kids to help mommy make, and it’s rewarding for everyone. We especially enjoy the eating part!
These gluten-free pancakes are full of flavor and a bit moist due to the olive oil. The gluten-free flour that we use is very mild tasting and is “all purpose”. It’s a 1:1 sub for wheat-based flour in your favorite recipes, so it’s easy to work with. There are no pulses (beans) in the flour and no soy either, so we didn’t have to mask any bitter bean flavor notes. You can easily make this recipe with traditional all purpose flour or whole wheat flour as a 1:1 sub for the gluten-free flour.
We encourage cooking with your kiddos. It’s a lot of fun, a bit messy and super cute. If your little one can hold a whisk and are able to sprinkle in a few ingredients, get them involved! Snap a few photos while you’re at it! They are more likely to eat their own creations and will have a shared sense of accomplishment!
This recipe makes about 12, 4 inch round gluten-free pancakes. They are great cold as snacks or breakfast on the go (we know how busy mornings can be!). They can also be frozen for future mornings or dinners. As a kid we loved breakfast for dinner!!
For baby, you don’t need to add any syrup. Just cut up into bite size pieces and serve as is. They are already slightly sweet. Sometimes we sprinkle a little coconut sugar on the baby’s pancakes to add additional sweetness. This way there is no messy maple syrup all over the place!
These gluten-free blueberry pancakes are full of fiber, Omega 3’s from the chia and flax seed, protein and antioxidants. Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below and please share pics of you and your little ones cooking together!
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes with Olive Oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Skillet or Pan
- 3 cups Bob’s Redmill or Woodland Foods All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour 1:1 sub
- 3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 T Ground Cinnamon
- 2 T Ground Flaxseed
- 2 T Chia Seed
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 1/2 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Dairy-Free Milk* *Use soy milk or coconut milk if avoiding nuts. I used Silk Protein Milk – Unsweetened Vanilla
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- In your liquid measuring cup add apple cider vinegar to milk and stir – set aside for 10 minutes
- Add all ingredients to medium mixing bowl and whisk together until blended
- Slowly add in milk mixture and whisk
- Add in olive oil and whisk (if batter is too thick or lumpy, add in more milk until smooth)
- Fold in blueberries
- Grease skillet if not non-stick and turn to medium low heat
- Scoop batter by 1/2 cup onto skillet
- Cook pancakes until bubbly (see image) – about 2 minutes and then flip
- Cook another 2 minutes or so – until fully cooked
- Serve with your favorite yogurt, applesauce, maple syrup or whipped cream!