We recently returned from a long weekend in Southwest Michigan during summer berry season. It was a fantastic trip! We swam in lake Michigan, met up with some old friends and stayed on a 20 acre forest, complete with fresh raspberry bushes and chickens! While we were there we made an ad-hoc nectarine and cherry crisp using the ingredients that we had on hand. Everyone loved it! Sadly we left the leftovers with our host, so we were only able to enjoy a few bites. It left us lingering for more.
On our last day in Michigan we enjoyed a nice lunch with some friends in downtown Saugatak and discussed finding a farm-stand to pick up some local sweet cherries and blueberries. Ideally, we wanted to do a U-pick, but cherry season had just ended (tear). However, blueberry season was in it’s peak!
On our way out of Saugatak we discovered Blue Star Farms, a little U-Pick blueberry farm. It was 4:30pm and the farm was closing to the public at 5pm. We like a good challenge, so we decided to go for it!
Between the four of us, we managed to pick over five pounds of fresh Michigan blueberries in under thirty minutes! This is pretty impressive since our youngest (15 months) was shoveling the berries into her mouth as we picked.
The next day as we basked in our beautiful bounty of fresh-picked blueberries, we decided to create that crisp again using healthful ingredients that are free of refined sugar and gluten. Kids get enough crap in their diet from school and other special occaisions. Plus, we like to feel good about what we feed our kiddos.
This summer berry crisp is packed with dietary fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, antioxidants, healthy fats and will not spike you or your little one’s blood sugar, which means no sugar highs or crashes!
We hope that you enjoy this summer berry crisp recipe, and be sure to top it off with a little coconut whipped cream – it’s the best! Whole Foods sells 365 brand non-dairy plant-based whipped toping now for under $3 a tub. Or make your own with this recipe. It’s super easy and you can control the sweetness.
Summer Berry Crisp
- Cherry Pitter
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- 9×9 Non-Stick Baking Pan
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 30 sweet cherries (pitted)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (reserve 1/2 for dry mixture)
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour blend (we like D'allessandro or Bob's Redmill)
- 1 cup gluten-free quick cook oats can use regular quick cook oats too
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon can use any cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 + 1 tsp. cup coconut oil
- 1.5 T honey
- Wash then pit cherries
- Cut cherries into halves or quarters (your preference)
- Wash blueberries
- Toss fruit in large mixing bowl with 1/2 cup coconut sugar, vanilla and lemon juice (reserve 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
- Add fruit mixture to bottom of pan
- Stir remaining dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl
- Fold in coconut oil and honey until well coated and slightly lumpy
- Cover fruit mixture generously and evenly
- Bake for 40 minutes until top is slightly golden brown
- Serve warm or chilled with coconut whipped cream or vanilla ice cream